US lost nearly 30 US Reaper Drones worth $1 billion in Iran strikes
- In Reports
- 01:10 PM, May 22, 2026
- Myind Staff
The United States has reportedly lost nearly $1 billion worth of its MQ-9 Reaper drones during the ongoing conflict with Iran, marking one of the biggest setbacks for the Pentagon’s drone warfare programme in recent years. According to a Bloomberg report, Iran has destroyed at least 24 MQ-9 Reapers since the war began in February, while some estimates place the number as high as 30. The losses include drones that were shot down during missions, damaged beyond repair, destroyed on the ground in missile strikes, or lost in operational accidents.
The MQ-9 Reaper has been one of the most widely used American military platforms during the conflict. Built by General Atomics, the drone is known for its advanced surveillance capabilities and strike power. It carries sophisticated cameras, sensors, Hellfire missiles and Joint Direct Attack Munition-guided bombs. Each Reaper costs nearly $30 million, making the scale of the losses particularly serious for the US military.
The report said these destroyed drones account for almost 20 per cent of the Pentagon’s prewar inventory of MQ-9 Reapers. The situation has become more concerning because the drones are no longer being manufactured for the US military. While some versions are still being produced for foreign buyers, production for American forces has effectively stopped, making replacements difficult.
The Pentagon also has limited alternatives available. Bloomberg reported that only around 10 units of the newer Avenger strike drone were ever built. The Avenger is a jet-powered unmanned aircraft seen as a possible successor to the Reaper. However, the small number of available units limits the US military’s ability to quickly replace the destroyed drones.
The losses have also exposed the risks involved in modern drone warfare. American commanders increasingly relied on drones during the conflict to reduce danger to pilots and air crews. Despite repeated US and Israeli strikes that reportedly weakened large parts of Iran’s air defence systems, Iranian airspace has remained dangerous for military operations. Several drones were reportedly brought down by Iranian fire while operating over contested areas.
Bloomberg Economics defence lead Becca Wasser said, “Prosecuting war from a distance still comes with a cost.”
“MQ-9s may be attritable as they are uncrewed, but they are too expensive and too few with no active production line to be considered expendable,” Wasser added.
The latest estimates are higher than earlier public figures. A Congressional Research Service report released earlier this month confirmed the loss of 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones. However, newer estimates suggest the overall damage may be significantly higher as more operational losses are assessed.
The drone losses are only one part of the wider military damage suffered by the United States and Israel since the conflict intensified. The war has consumed large numbers of expensive precision weapons, including Tomahawk cruise missiles and JASSM-ER long-range missiles. Reports have also claimed that the US lost two crewed aircraft over Iran during operations. These included an F-15E Strike Eagle and an A-10 Thunderbolt II. All crew members from both aircraft were successfully rescued.
The Congressional Research Service report listed several additional damaged or destroyed military assets. According to the report, the losses include four F-15E Strike Eagles, one F-35A Lightning II fighter jet, one A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft, seven KC-135 Stratotankers, one E-3 Sentry AWACS aircraft, two MC-130J Commando II aircraft, one HH-60W Jolly Green II helicopter, 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones and one MQ-4C Triton drone.
The report further mentioned damage to airborne warning and control aircraft, aerial refuelling tankers, helicopters, drones, fighter jets and special operations aircraft. Radar systems worth hundreds of millions of dollars were also reportedly damaged during the conflict, adding to the growing financial burden of the war.
The conflict began after US and Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, triggering weeks of heavy military exchanges across the region. Although a fragile ceasefire came into effect on April 8, tensions have remained high. Both sides have continued carrying out occasional strikes while political rhetoric from Washington and Tehran has remained sharp.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday local time, US President Donald Trump described ongoing negotiations as being “on the borderline” between a possible agreement and another round of escalation.
Meanwhile, a report by American news outlet NBC claimed that Washington is already preparing contingency plans if diplomatic talks collapse. The report, citing two US officials, said the US administration is considering renaming the military campaign as “Operation Sledgehammer” as part of a renewed offensive against Iran.
The rising military costs, the growing list of damaged assets and the continued uncertainty over negotiations have placed increasing pressure on the Pentagon and the White House. The heavy losses of MQ-9 Reaper drones have especially raised questions about the long-term sustainability of relying heavily on expensive unmanned systems in contested airspace where advanced defences remain active.

Comments