The Devendra Fadnavis led Maharashtra government has been extremely serious about providing an all-inclusive development modeal for people from all echelons of society. This government understands that development of women is at the core of development of society, and has implemented various successful initiatives to support and promote growth of women in Maharashtra.
The Maharashtra government has worked towards women development on all fronts- safety and security, health, financial empowerment and skill development. Key initiatives of the government include but are not limited to the following-
- Under CM Devendra Fadnavis, Maharashtra has become a 100% open defecation free state, which is one of the most basic elements of female safety, comfort and self-respect.
- Installation of CCTV cameras in urban areas, in cities like Mumbai, Pune, and Nagpur has been a priority for increased security of women. The CCTV network has helped curb crime rate and the government has been widening the scope of CCTVs. The focus is also on adding more technical features to improve security such as, the integration of Mumbai Police’s Dial 100 control room with the CCTV network, which is expected to enable the police to identify the location of a complainant using location-based services. In a first, Mumbai police is also set to install 125 facial recognition cameras across the city.
- To help the women in distress, the Toll-free Help Line No.103 is started in Mumbai, Thane & Navi Mumbai and Toll- free no. 1091 for rest of Maharashtra. This is a specialized 24/7 service to tackle crime against women.
- 975 Mahila Police Kaksha cells are established where women officers handle cases of crime against women. Mahila Suraksha Samittee are established in all headquarters of all 45 Police Units and all Police Stations. This committee helps with legal and social assistance to women in crisis. Govt. of Maharashtra has been implementing Manodhairya Scheme for rehabilitation of victims of Rape and Acid Attacks (women and children) by providing them financial assistance and rehabilitation.
- Maharashtra has launched a scheme to curb infant deaths, providing baby care kits to the children born in primary health centres and government hospitals. Maharashtra is the only State in the country where it’s two districts Jalgaon & Osmanabad were felicitated with special award by Hon’ble Minister WCD, GOI, for exemplary contributions in the #BetiBachaoBetiPadhao Yojana. Under the first of it’s kind, the Majhi Kanya Bhagyashree Yojana provides financial assistance for creation of fixed deposits to families of girl child.
- The government of Maharashtra has launched ASMITA Yojana to distribute subsidized sanitary napkins to the rural women and adolescent girls In the state. For adolescent girls, a pack of 8 sanitary napkins is being provided at a subsidized rate of Rs. 5, rural women get the sanitary pads at Rs. 24.20 per packet containing 8 napkins each. All school girls are being provided with ‘ASMITA Card’ for instant purchase of the napkins.
- Devendra Fadnavis’ government has always encouraged innovation and entrepreneurship at the rural level. While Maharashtra garnered only 4% share in Mudra loans but generated the maximum additional jobs of 15%. 10 crore women are beneficiaries of Mudra loans. A special mention to Hirkani Maharashtrachi and the District Business Plan Competition, which foster innovation and entrepreneurship amongst women SHGs, and include government financial assistance and mentorship. The recently launched Prajwala Yojana and Navtejaswinin Yojana, with an allocation of Rs. 2500 cr., aims to improve the living standards of women and Self Help Groups, provide entrepreneurial training and alleviate poverty.
- CM Fadnavis has actively implemented all centre initiatives to improve lives of women in the state. 1 crore women are given StandUp India loans to empower women entrepreneurs in the state. Health and safety of 8 crore women have improved due to effective implementation of the Ujwala Yojana. Provision of LPG to these women ensures they don’t have to compromise their health in smoky kitchens or wander in unsafe areas collecting firewood. Criminalization of Triple Talak and Muslim women’s right to perform Haj Yatra without a male companion is a victory for gender justice.
- A provision for capital punishment for rape of girl child less than 12 years has been implemented in Maharashtra, after the national executive order by PM Narendra Modi.
CM Fadnavis is focused on social parity, security and safety while encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship in order to empower women from various strata of society. The government has taken innovative measures to promote health and hygiene of women and children, and has taken lead in implementing national initiatives.
This vision of equality and empowerment of the common citizen with continued development of the state is a feather in the cap of CM Devendra Fadnavis. He has many more impact driven initiatives lined up for the coming five years and Maharashtra looks forward to his revolutionary measures to make both urban and rural regions देशाचे हिरे.