Buckingham Palace on Thursday announced that Britain's Prince Andrew has been stripped of his military titles and charities. This statement came a day after a judge ruled a sexual abuse civil lawsuit against the Queen's son could proceed.
"With The Queen's approval and agreement, the Duke of York's military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen. The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen," the palace said in a statement.
According to CNN, a royal source said that "all of the Duke's roles have been handed back to the Queen with immediate effect for redistribution to other members of the Royal Family. For clarity, they will not return to The Duke of York."
Andrew will also no longer use the style "His Royal Highness" in any official capacity. The source said the decision was "widely discussed" among the royal family.
On Wednesday, a New York judged ruled against a motion by Andrew's legal team to dismiss a civil lawsuit brought against him by Virginia Giuffre, who alleges that she was trafficked by disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein and forced to perform sex acts with the prince at the age of 17. Andrew has vigorously denied those claims.
The allegations against Andrew, along with his relationship with the late convicted sex offender Epstein, had already tarnished the prince's reputation.
But the prospect of a public trial that would attract global attention could put Andrew -- the third child (and reportedly the favorite son) of Queen Elizabeth II in an unprecedented situation for a senior British royal.
Andrew had, in 2019, stepped away from his public duties as a result of allegations and the backlash over his initial response.
Image credit: MARCA