Meghalaya HC demands swift action as KSU violence spreads beyond Shillong
- In Reports
- 09:21 PM, Aug 21, 2026
- Myind Staff
The Meghalaya High Court has directed the authorities to step up efforts to identify and prosecute those responsible for the violence during a Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) black-flag bike rally in Shillong on Wednesday. The court’s intervention came as fresh incidents of arson were reported in other parts of the state and restrictions on movement along the Assam-Meghalaya border added to concerns over the law-and-order situation.
A Division Bench of Justices H.S. Thangkhiew and W. Diengdoh took note of the violence while hearing a suo motu public interest litigation. The court observed that government vehicles, police vehicles and public transport had suffered extensive damage. It also took note of the alleged desecration of statues of national heroes. The court directed the authorities to take “more intensive and immediate” steps to arrest those responsible and submit an action-taken report by August 24.
The violence broke out after the KSU organised the rally as part of its ongoing agitation over a five-point charter of demands. Police said 31 vehicles were vandalised, 16 people were injured, and two vehicles were set on fire. So far, 15 FIRs have been registered in connection with the incidents.
Three senior KSU leaders have also been arrested. They are KSU president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar. A court remanded them to judicial custody for 14 days. The three leaders are expected to be shifted from Shillong for security reasons. Kharjana is likely to be moved to Williamnagar, while Sanmiet and Najiar are expected to be taken to Tura.
East Khasi Hills SP Vivek Syiem said the police have enough video evidence to identify those involved in the violence. “We have enough evidence and footage to show that bikers were only involved in arson, vandalism and assault. The crowd had about 200 bikes. We need to identify who in that crowd was involved in various spurts where incidents happened,” he said.
The state administration has also increased restrictions in Shillong. Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) has been imposed in the Sadar police station area. The order bars unauthorised rallies, processions and public gatherings. The move came ahead of a KSU protest planned at Khyndailad on Friday. The administration has also cancelled permission for the protest following Wednesday’s violence.
Despite the restrictions, the state government has said it wants to keep the option of talks open. Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar appealed to the KSU and other organisations to maintain peace. “The incident is very unfortunate and cannot be tolerated by the state government. I request the KSU, all other organisations and people of the state to maintain peace. If there is any issue, the door of the government is always open for talks,” Dhar said.
“We have seen their demands. Let them come for talks, we are ready,” he added.
Deputy Chief Minister in-charge of the Home (Police) Department Prestone Tynsong said the government had already invited the KSU for talks before the rally. However, the union rejected the offer. “The chief minister had communicated through the DC inviting KSU for talks, but they turned it down saying their programme was already fixed. We thought the rally would be peaceful as assured to the district administration,” Tynsong said.
Tynsong said the government does not currently see a need to impose a night curfew. He said the situation in Shillong remains under control. Traffic movement between Meghalaya and Assam was also restored earlier. Police are using drones and CCTV footage to identify those involved in the violence.
The situation has also created problems beyond Shillong. The Ri Bhoi administration on Friday advised commuters to avoid the Byrnihat-Jorabat road from both sides after reports of a blockade. The advisory was especially aimed at people travelling for medical treatment, airport and railway services and other essential emergencies. Authorities suggested alternative routes through Pillingkata-Killing and Nongpoh-Patharkhmah-Rani.
The road disruption has added to tensions between Assam and Meghalaya. Assam-based transport operators stopped Meghalaya-registered vehicles at Jorabat and Khanapara. Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma spoke to Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. Both governments agreed to work together to restore “peace, trust and normalcy” between the two states.
More incidents of arson were also reported outside Shillong. Two government vehicles were torched at secured locations in Nongstoin on Friday. A transport department vehicle was set on fire at Mookynphad Mihmyntdu in West Jaiñtia Hills. A suspected police motorcycle was also torched at Malki. Police have registered cases and started investigations into the incidents.
Government drivers have also raised concerns over their safety. The Meghalaya Government Drivers’ Welfare Association has asked the state government to reduce the deployment of official vehicles in vulnerable areas until normalcy returns. Several government vehicles have already been damaged or torched, while some drivers suffered minor injuries.
The association has suggested that officers use private vehicles for routine duties wherever possible. It said essential and emergency operations should continue with adequate security. The association has also renewed its demand for Risk Allowance for government drivers working in hazardous conditions.
The KSU’s agitation is centred on five major demands. These include action over the July 31 Shree Cement public hearing in East Jaiñtia Hills, stronger implementation of the Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act, regulation of migrant workers, recruitment reforms at the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS), and removal of interviews for Grade B, C and D posts.
With the High Court now monitoring the government’s action, the administration faces the challenge of restoring order while addressing the wider fallout. The violence has affected security, government operations and movement between Meghalaya and Assam. The government is pushing for accountability against those involved while continuing to keep the door open for talks with the KSU.

Comments