Karnataka government withdraws 2022 Mashak Dargah riot case, over 100 accused to walk free
- In Reports
- 07:26 PM, May 23, 2026
- Myind Staff
The Siddaramaiah-led Karnataka government has withdrawn seven riot-related cases connected to the 2022 violence at Ladle Mashak Dargah in Aland town. Cabinet documents accessed by CNN-News18 revealed that the decision was taken after a recommendation by Assembly Speaker U.T. Khader. The move has now sparked a major political controversy, with opposition leaders and Hindu groups accusing the government of appeasement politics and warning of legal action.
The withdrawn cases involve serious charges, including rioting, attempt to murder, attacking police personnel and public servants, and damaging government property. More than 100 accused persons are expected to benefit from the decision. The cases were linked to the violence that broke out in February 2022 during tensions surrounding the Ladle Mashak Dargah in Karnataka’s Aland town.
According to cabinet documents reviewed by CNN-News18, the Karnataka government itself acknowledged the seriousness of the incident. One of the accused, identified as Akib Ansari, allegedly threatened police personnel saying, “Tum wahi log ho, tumko nahi chodenge." The documents also stated that “officers on bandobast duty were attacked with murderous intent and government vehicles were damaged."
The report further mentioned that a mob carrying rods, swords and sticks allegedly came from New Ansari Mohalla while shouting “Allahu Akbar". During the violence, a Deputy Superintendent of Police and a constable reportedly suffered severe injuries. Police had registered several FIRs after the clashes took place.
The issue became more controversial after it emerged that these riot-related cases were included in a larger list of 42 protest-related cases withdrawn by the cabinet. Most of the other cases reportedly involved farmers’ protests and pro-Kannada agitations. Critics have now alleged that the riot cases were “silently” added to the list without drawing public attention.
Leader of Opposition Chalavadi Narayanaswamy strongly criticised the government’s decision. “This is appeasement politics by Siddaramaiah. How can they withdraw cases that are currently in court?" he told CNN-News18. He further said, “These are cases with serious charges. They attacked policemen and torched police vehicles."
The move also drew criticism from Hindu activist Hiremath, who warned that the matter would be challenged legally. Recalling the events of 2022, he alleged that Hindu activists who had gathered for Shivaratri purification rituals were attacked during the violence.
“In 2022, when all of us had gone there on the day of Shivaratri for purification rituals, the dargah committee and Muslim youths present there attacked us with stones, sticks and swords," he said.
Hiremath further claimed that police vehicles were damaged during the clashes and senior officers were assaulted. “They damaged police vehicles and even assaulted and injured the Superintendent of Police. The vehicle of then Union Minister Bhagwanth Khuba was also damaged," he said.
According to Hiremath, police had registered six cases related to the violence and another case linked to the hijab issue. He claimed that a total of eight cases from Aland have now been withdrawn by the government.
He also criticised Assembly Speaker U.T. Khader for recommending the withdrawal of the cases. “He wrote to the Home Department recommending that cases against innocent people be withdrawn. I condemn U.T. Khader’s action. We are already preparing for a legal battle," Hiremath said.
While the opposition and Hindu groups have attacked the government over the decision, the Congress defended its stand and said such withdrawals were not unusual. Congress leader Saleem Ahmed stated that similar decisions had been taken in the past by previous governments, including the BJP government.
“This is not the first instance of such case withdrawals. Similar withdrawals happened during the BJP government as well. It is not a new practice," he said.
Ahmed also said that the process was being carried out according to legal procedures and that several cases were currently under review. “There are multiple cases being discussed or reviewed. It follows legal procedures and similar actions were taken by previous governments too," he added.
The controversy is expected to continue in Karnataka as political parties trade charges over the issue. With opposition leaders questioning the withdrawal of cases involving attacks on police personnel and public property, the matter is likely to intensify further in the coming days. Hindu organisations have already indicated that they may approach the courts to challenge the government’s decision.

Comments