Jharkhand cancels JSSC exams, Devendra Mahto ends hunger strike, students continue with CBI probe demand
- In Reports
- 02:06 PM, Aug 18, 2026
- Myind Staff
Student leader Devendra Mahto ended his indefinite hunger strike on Monday after the Jharkhand government cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination and recruitment processes conducted through testing agency TDPL. The government also announced the cancellation of all competitive examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014. It ordered a Crime Investigation Department (CID) probe into these examinations. However, a section of student protesters said their agitation would continue until the demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe is accepted.
Mahto ended his fast after the government accepted the demands raised by the protesting students. Other student protesters in Ranchi also followed him and called off their hunger strike. Mahto said the government should introduce a law to protect students from fraud and unfair practices in recruitment examinations.
"Such a law should be made in the House so that no student is cheated or deceived. The government should guarantee this," Mahto said.
Mahto said the students had raised their demands through constitutional and peaceful means. He said the government’s decision to cancel the examinations and take action against irregularities had met the demands for which they had been protesting.
"Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we have ended our fast in a very dignified manner," Mahto said. He credited Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Dipika Pandey and MLA Jairam Mahato for their joint efforts in resolving the issue.
Mahto also thanked the Jharkhand government, Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for what he called a "monumental" decision to cancel examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014. He said the decision was important as the appointment and joining process for the CGL examination had already been completed. Students had also made conflicting claims about their cases.
"The decision taken today was not easy," Mahto said, adding that the government conducted an “honest and impartial inquiry” and found a way forward for all sides.
Despite the government’s decision, several student leaders said their greater demand for a CBI investigation remains pending. Piyush Kumar described the cancellation of the examinations as only the first step and said the students would continue their struggle.
“Our demands have not yet been fully met... The struggle will continue,” he said.
Another student leader, Ravindra Paswan, welcomed the decision and thanked Chief Minister Hemant Soren and the state government for what he described as a historic and bold step in the interest of students. He also urged the government to order a CBI probe into the cancelled examinations.
“If you order a CBI investigation, then all of us students are with you,” he said.
Paswan said the students would first examine the official government notification. They would then decide their next course of action.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced on Monday that all examinations conducted through TDPL and the results published by the agency would be cancelled. He also said examinations and recruitment processes conducted through TDPL since 2014 would face CID investigation.
"All examinations conducted by TDPL and the results published by it are now cancelled. Examinations and recruitment conducted through TDPL stand cancelled,” Soren said.
The government’s decision comes amid a large student protest at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Ground. Students had alleged irregularities and paper leaks in the JSSC-CGL and other recruitment examinations. The protest had grown over several weeks and eventually turned into a major student movement.
Jharkhand Minister Irfan Ansari said student leaders Devendra Mahto, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily ended their hunger strike after the government accepted their demands. He said the leaders broke their fast after receiving juice. Ansari credited Dipika Pandey and Jairam Mahato with helping bring the agitation to an end.
The minister said the government had accepted all the demands raised by the students and described the issues as important for the state’s youth. He also said Chief Minister Hemant Soren had taken a historic decision in the interest of young people.
Ansari said all three student leaders underwent medical examinations after ending their fast. Their blood pressure and blood sugar levels were reported to be normal. They were later discharged from the hospital.
Students at the protest site celebrated soon after Soren announced the cancellation of the examinations. Protesters raised slogans and congratulated one another. Some students were also seen crying with joy after the government announcement.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and a probe into alleged irregularities had been among the students’ main demands. The government has now ordered a CID investigation into examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014. Students, however, continue to insist on a CBI investigation.
The agitation began on July 25 when a small group of students gathered at Ranchi’s Vapu Batika Ground. They were protesting alleged irregularities and paper leak claims linked to the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and JSSC-CGL examinations. The movement later expanded, with Mahto beginning an indefinite hunger strike. Several other students eventually joined him.
The protest also drew support from activist Sonam Wangchuk. In a video call, Wangchuk congratulated Mahto and his team for their commitment, honesty and conviction during the movement for students’ rights. He also praised Chief Minister Hemant Soren for accepting the students’ demands.
The government’s decision has brought an end to the hunger strike led by Mahto and other student leaders. Yet the dispute over the nature of the investigation remains unresolved. While the government has ordered a CID investigation into TDPL examinations since 2014, a section of students wants the matter handed over to the CBI. Their next move will depend on their review of the government’s official notification.

Comments