Iran launched two ballistic missiles, one fell in our territorial waters: UAE
- In Reports
- 01:36 PM, Aug 19, 2026
- Myind Staff
The United Arab Emirates has reported detecting two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards its territory. One missile fell inside the UAE’s territorial waters, while the other fell outside them, according to the Emirati defence ministry. The development prompted a brief warning for residents to move to safe locations and follow official instructions.
The National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority (NCEMA) said its air defence systems had detected a missile threat targeting the country. It urged residents to remain in safe places and follow updates issued through official channels.
"UAE air defence systems detected a missile threat targeting the country. Please remain in a safe location and follow warnings and updates issued through official channels," the statement read.
The UAE Interior Ministry also sent an alert to residents, warning them about potential missile threats. It asked people to move to the nearest secure building. The alert was lifted shortly after it was issued.
"Due to the current situation and potential missile threats, immediately seek a safe place in the closest secure building," the Interior Ministry said in the phone alert.
The defence ministry later confirmed that the UAE had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran. It said one missile fell within the country’s territorial waters, while the other landed outside them. The ministry also stressed that the UAE remains prepared to respond to threats against the country.
The latest warning comes a day after the ceasefire Memorandum of Understanding between Iran and the United States expired on Monday. The development has raised fresh concerns about a possible return of missile attacks in the Gulf region.
The UAE had already accused Iran of attacking an Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) vessel while it was passing through the Strait of Hormuz on Friday. The Emirati government said the incident took place on Saturday and urged Tehran to stop what it described as unprovoked attacks and called for an end to hostilities and complete reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
The latest missile alert is the first such warning in the UAE in several months. The country last issued a missile threat warning in May. In June, residents received a similar alert by mistake after a technical problem affected the national early warning system. The false alarm incorrectly informed people about a possible missile threat.
The UAE faced the largest number of Iranian attacks after the Middle East war began on February 28. Nearly 3,000 missiles and drones were directed at the country, making it the most heavily targeted country in the region. After the Iran-US memorandum took effect in June, the UAE reported no further attacks for some time. The agreement has since collapsed.
The memorandum was signed by US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on June 17. The agreement aimed to stop more than three months of fighting that had killed thousands of people and disrupted commercial shipments across the Gulf. The conflict had also affected global supplies of oil and gas.
The 14-point agreement did not resolve major disputes between Washington and Tehran. Issues such as Iran’s nuclear programme were left for later negotiations. The immediate goal was to stop military operations and create a diplomatic path to end the conflict, including fighting in Lebanon.
"The United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Iran and their allies in the current war by signing this MOU declare the immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts, including in Lebanon, and undertake from now on not to initiate any war or any military operation against each other and to refrain from the threat or use of force against each other and ensuring the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Lebanon," the MoU read.
"The final deal will confirm the permanent termination of the war on all fronts, including in Lebanon, and other provisions of this paragraph" would be endorsed by the UN Security Council and would be reached in a maximum of 60 days, which could be extended by mutual consent," it added.
The MoU also included economic and security commitments. The United States was required to end its naval blockade within 30 days after the final agreement. It also had to begin work on a reconstruction and development package for Iran worth at least $300 billion.
Washington was further required to lift sanctions on Iran, issue waivers allowing Iranian oil exports and give Tehran access to billions of dollars in funds frozen abroad. These measures formed part of the wider economic commitments under the agreement.
Iran also had responsibilities under the MoU. Tehran was required to clear mines from the Strait of Hormuz and allow ships to pass through the waterway without charges for 60 days. The agreement also reaffirmed Iran’s position that it would not acquire or develop nuclear weapons and would maintain the existing status quo.
The latest missile incident has renewed concerns about the security situation around the UAE and the Strait of Hormuz. The Emirati authorities have maintained that their air defence systems are prepared to respond to potential threats. Residents have also been urged to rely on official warnings and instructions as tensions in the region continue.

Comments