Interpol issues Red Corner Notice against Sambal violence accused Shariq Satha
- In Reports
- 08:00 PM, Aug 22, 2026
- Myind Staff
Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Satha, whom the Uttar Pradesh police have accused of being the main conspirator behind the violence in Sambhal in November 2024. The notice marks a major step in the police effort to trace Satha, who is believed to be hiding abroad. Authorities will now seek his arrest and extradition so that he can face legal proceedings in India.
A Red Corner Notice is an international request sent to law-enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person wanted for prosecution or to serve a sentence. The notice does not itself amount to an international arrest warrant. It allows police agencies in different countries to identify and detain a wanted person, subject to their local laws.
Satha had already been declared a fugitive offender by a court. Proceedings have commenced to attach his property. Police said they are now working to bring him back to India and make him face action in the Sambhal violence case. He is also wanted in around 55 to 60 other criminal cases registered against him in the past.
"Satha was previously declared a fugitive offender by a court, with proceedings initiated for the attachment of his property. Efforts will now be made to get him arrested and extradited from whichever country he is in, ensuring that he faces legal action for the 2024 incident as well as for the 55 to 60 other criminal cases previously registered against him," then-Sambhal SP KK Bishnoi, now in charge of Bijnor, told reporters on Friday.
Police said they had completed the required formalities before approaching the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for the Interpol notice. A lookout circular had already been issued against Satha. The latest action is expected to strengthen efforts to track his movements and secure his arrest abroad.
"Following the completion of the necessary formalities, the Uttar Pradesh Police had requested the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to get Interpol to issue a Red Corner Notice against him. A lookout circular was already issued against him," Bishnoi added.
According to police, Satha escaped to Dubai using a forged passport. His family members have also travelled to Dubai several times. Police kept a close watch on his activities and prepared a detailed dossier on him. The dossier was submitted to the CBI, which has coordinated with Interpol to issue the Red Corner Notice.
Police have accused Satha of involvement in organised criminal activities across the National Capital Region (NCR) and Uttar Pradesh. These activities allegedly included vehicle thefts. Investigators said he continued to operate from abroad while remaining out of reach of Indian authorities.
The Sambhal violence took place on November 24, 2024, during a court-ordered survey of the Shahi Jama Masjid. The survey followed claims that a Harihar temple had earlier stood at the site. Local protesters clashed with security forces during the proceedings. The violence left four people dead and dozens injured.
The incident led to a major police investigation in Sambhal. During the probe, investigators identified Satha as the alleged prime conspirator in the case. Police conducted several raids to locate him but failed to trace him. With the accused still absconding, authorities are following the legal route.
A notice under Section 84 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) was later pasted at Satha's residence after he could not be located. The action followed continued police efforts to track down the accused and bring him to justice.
The Red Corner Notice now places Satha under an international alert. Uttar Pradesh Police will seek cooperation from authorities in the country where he is located. The immediate aim is to secure his arrest and eventual extradition to India. Once brought back, he will face proceedings linked to the Sambhal violence as well as the other criminal cases registered against him.

Comments