Bihar declared ‘Naxal-free’ after surrender of last active Maoist Suresh Koda
- In Reports
- 06:16 PM, Feb 20, 2026
- Myind Staff
Organised Maoist activity in Bihar has come to an end with the surrender of Suresh Koda, also known as Mustakim, who officials described as the last active, armed Maoist in the state. The announcement was made by senior police officials after Koda surrendered before the Bihar Police’s Special Task Force (STF) and the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police, Munger, on Tuesday.
Suresh Koda carried a reward of Rs 3 lakh and had been wanted in 60 Maoist-related cases across several districts. He is a resident of Paisra village under Ladaiyatand police station in Munger district. According to police officials, he had been absconding for the past 25 years and was an active member of the Special Area Committee (SAC), a key Maoist unit.
Director General of Operations and STF chief Kundan Krishnan confirmed the surrender and said Koda handed over illegal firearms and ammunition. Sharing details about the development, Krishnan said, “He had been absconding for the past 25 years and was an active member of the SAC (Special Area Committee). A total of 60 Maoist-related cases were registered against him across Munger, Lakhisarai and Jamui districts,” the STF chief said.
Krishnan further stated that Maoist squads have been completely eliminated from Munger and the rest of Bihar. “Maoist squads have been eliminated from Munger and the rest of Bihar,” he said, adding that the state can now be considered “Naxal-free”. This development comes ahead of the deadline set by Union Home Minister Amit Shah to eliminate Left-wing extremism from the country by the end of March.
The STF credited Koda’s surrender to continuous anti-Maoist operations carried out in coordination with paramilitary forces in the hilly and remote regions of Munger district. These areas had been affected by Maoist activities for many years. According to officials, sustained pressure and strong security action forced the Maoist squads to vacate the region.
Krishnan also highlighted that the state government’s surrender and rehabilitation policy played an important role in influencing Koda’s decision to give up arms. He said that continuous operations and pressure from security forces, along with the benefits offered under the surrender scheme, led to this outcome.
The surrender of Suresh Koda follows similar developments in recent months. On December 28 last year, three Maoist commanders — Bahadur Koda, a sub-zonal commander; Narayan Koda, a zonal commander; and Binod Koda alias Bino Koda — surrendered before authorities. Narayan and Bahadur surrendered with two INSAS rifles, four SLR rifles, around 500 rounds of live ammunition and 10 walkie-talkies.
Earlier, on July 27, 2025, another active squad member, Bhola Koda alias Vikas alias Rohit Koda, had also surrendered. Officials said that continuous action in Munger forced Maoist members to leave the area and seek shelter elsewhere, particularly in neighbouring Jharkhand.
In later encounters in different parts of Jharkhand, several Maoists were killed. These included Pravesh Da alias Sahdev Soren, Arvind Yadav alias Alok Ji alias Netaji, and Dunni Lal alias Tuntun. Police believe these operations significantly weakened Maoist presence in the region.
Suresh Koda has been accused of involvement in several violent incidents over the last two decades. According to Krishnan, “Suresh Koda is accused of involvement in a series of violent incidents over the past two decades.” He was allegedly involved in the killing of a village chowkidar in the Dharhara police station area in 2008 and another chowkidar in Jamui’s Charakapatthar area in 2010.
In 2012, he was accused of being involved in the bombing of the Khaira block office. During this attack, official records were burnt, and a truck was also set on fire. In 2014, he was allegedly involved in the burning of a JCB machine near Nabinagar Balughat in Jamui and in the abduction of labourers.
In 2017, Koda was named in the murder of Sunil Yadav, the husband of a deputy mukhiya, in the Kajra area of Lakhisarai district. “The following year, he was allegedly involved in multiple killings, arson attacks on vehicles, abductions of labourers, and the killing of an SSB jawan,” Krishnan said.
In 2019, he was allegedly involved in murders in the Chanan area of Lakhisarai district and in encounters with STF and CoBRA units. In 2020, Maoists planted an improvised explosive device (IED) in the Piribazar area and were involved in encounters with security forces near Haramkunda (Garam Pania).
Further cases registered against him in 2021 and 2022 relate to murder, abduction, extortion, arson and attacks on security personnel during anti-Naxal operations.
During his surrender, security forces recovered two INSAS rifles, one AK-47, one AK-56, and 505 rounds of ammunition. The ammunition included INSAS, SLR and AK-47 cartridges. Ten magazines were also seized.
Under the Bihar government’s surrender-cum-rehabilitation scheme, Suresh Koda will receive financial assistance. He is eligible for Rs 3 lakh as the declared reward, Rs 5 lakh as incentive assistance, and Rs 3.6 lakh as vocational training allowance spread over 36 months. In addition, he will receive Rs 71,515 as an incentive for surrendering the weapons and ammunition.
The STF said that further steps are being taken to ensure that Koda and his family receive benefits under the rehabilitation policy. Officials believe this surrender marks a major milestone in ending Maoist activity in Bihar and strengthening security in previously affected districts.

Comments