86 Maoists from Chhattisgarh surrender to Telangana police, renounce violence under ‘Operation Cheyutha’
- In Reports
- 11:25 PM, Apr 05, 2025
- Myind Staff
In a significant development in the ongoing efforts to counter Left-Wing Extremism, 86 members of the outlawed Communist Party of India (Maoist) from neighbouring Chhattisgarh laid down their arms and surrendered to the Telangana Police on Saturday. The surrender took place in Bhadradri Kothagudem district in the presence of Inspector General of Police (Multi Zone-I) S. Chandrashekhar Reddy, as stated in an official press release.
The surrendered group includes four Area Committee Members (ACMs), each of whom carried a reward of ₹4 lakh on their heads, according to Bhadradri Kothagudem Superintendent of Police B. Rohith Raju. These former Maoists, who had been involved in underground activities, chose to abandon the path of violence and return to peaceful civilian life with their families.
Operation Cheyutha and Reasons Behind the Surrender
Authorities attributed the growing number of surrenders to the success of 'Operation Cheyutha,' a police initiative focused on encouraging Maoist cadres to give up arms and reintegrate into society. Police stated that many have responded positively after witnessing the government’s welfare programmes aimed at both surrendered Maoists and tribal (Adivasi) communities.
The former insurgents reportedly turned themselves in after realising that the ideology of the banned CPI (Maoist) was outdated and no longer resonated with the tribal population. The official release noted that the outfit has "lost the trust and support among tribal people" and continues to hinder development in remote agency areas.
A police spokesperson said, "Maoists obstruct progress in tribal regions and instill fear among innocent locals, fearing that development in these areas would threaten their own existence."
Tragic recent incidents appear to have further disillusioned tribal communities. In one case, a tribal woman from Rampur village lost her leg due to explosives planted by Maoists. In another case, a tribal woman from Sodipara village died under similar circumstances. These villages are situated between Telangana’s Bhadradri Kothagudem district and Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district.
Growing Trend of Surrenders in 2025
With the latest group, the total number of Maoist surrenders in Telangana this year has reached 224, spanning various ranks and roles within the organisation. In a similar instance earlier, 64 Maoists had also surrendered before the Telangana police, choosing to distance themselves from the Naxalite movement.
Police Call for Further Surrenders
The Telangana Police reiterated their appeal to Maoist cadres still in hiding to surrender voluntarily. "We encourage all those who wish to abandon violence and live a normal life to contact the nearest police station or district authorities, either directly or through family members," said an official spokesperson.
The mass surrender marks a continuing shift in the Maoist landscape, particularly in the border regions of Telangana and Chhattisgarh. As more cadres opt to embrace peace and development over violence and isolation, the impact of community welfare programmes and sustained counter-insurgency efforts appears increasingly evident. Police remain hopeful that more Maoists will follow suit and choose rehabilitation over rebellion.
Comments