British Police brace for riots as right-wing groups target asylum centres; counter protests kick in
- In Reports
- 11:36 PM, Aug 07, 2024
- Myind Staff
British police are preparing for potential unrest on Wednesday as far-right groups plan to target asylum centres and immigration law firms nationwide. In response, counter-protesters have organised demonstrations to address the situation.
The anticipated clashes follow a surge of violence in the UK, which began last week after a tragic knife attack in northwest England claimed the lives of three young girls. The incident sparked a torrent of false information online. This tragedy was exacerbated by the spread of false information online, incorrectly identifying the suspected attacker as an Islamist migrant.
In recent days, groups of several hundred rioters have clashed with police in towns and cities, vandalising hotels housing asylum-seekers from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, and chanting slogans like “get them out” and “stop the boats,” a reference to unauthorised arrivals in small dinghies. The rioters have also targeted mosques, throwing rocks at them. Muslim organisations have expressed concern for their community and have issued safety advice to mosques and other Islamic institutions.
“The shocking scenes have left many Muslims and minority ethnic communities scared and fearful,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan said.
Online posts have announced that immigration centres and law firms aiding migrants would be targeted on Wednesday, with one message stating, “Wednesday night lads. They won’t stop coming until you tell them.” In response, anti-racism and anti-fascist groups have organised counter-demonstrations in towns and cities across the country.
One post about a planned far-right protest in Brighton warned, “Racist scum are trying to target an immigration lawyer’s office. We won’t let it happen – wear face coverings and face masks.” To address the unrest, the government has assembled a “standing army” of 6,000 specialist police officers to respond to any outbreaks of violence, ensuring a significant presence to maintain order.
“This country is faced with one of the worst spates of violent disorder in the last decade,” said Deputy Assistant Commissioner Andy Valentine, who is leading the policing operation in London. “We will not tolerate this on our streets. We will use every power, tactic, and tool available to prevent further scenes of disorder.”
Stephen Parkinson, the director of public prosecutions, noted that children as young as 11 have been involved in the violent disorder. “They may face lifelong consequences for their actions,” he said. Prime Minister Starmer has vowed a reckoning for those caught rioting, looting shops, and burning cars, with more than 400 people already arrested and 100 charged. Sentencing of some rioters in Liverpool is expected on Wednesday.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, facing his first major crisis since his election on July 4, has issued a stern warning to rioters, declaring severe prison sentences as he addresses the most significant outbreak of violence in a decade. “Our primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of our communities,” Starmer told broadcasters. “We are committed to making sure that necessary police responses are deployed and that appropriate support is provided to affected areas.”
Image source: Manchester Evening News

Comments